Professor, Principal Investigator
Laboratory of Lipid Metabolism in Human Nutrition-related Diseases
To apply tools of chemistry, molecular/cell biology, and animal models to study free radical mechanism of lipid oxidation and its role in human nutrition and diseases;
To develop mass spectrometry techniques including lipidomics, metabolomics, and proteomics to study lipid metabolism in the context of human diseases;
To study food safety using mass spectrometry-based omics techniques.7
Dr. Huiyong Yin graduated from Tongji University with a B.S. in Chemistry in 1992. He received his M.S. degree from Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) in 1995. After receiving his Ph.D. in the Department of Chemistry at Vanderbilt University in 2002, he joined the Division of Clinical Pharmacology at Vanderbilt School of Medicine as a Research Instructor and was promoted to Research Assistant Professor in 2005 and Research Associate Professor in 2009 in the Departments of Medicine, Pharmacology and Chemistry. He was the director of Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics (DMPK) analysis for the Vanderbilt Program of Drug Discovery from 2007 to 2009. He was the PI and Co-investigator on multiple NIH grants including RO1 and PO1, and the recipient of President’s Graduate Award of CAS (1995), Warren Graduate Fellowship Award in the Department of Chemistry at Vanderbilt University (2000), Travel Award (2004) and Young Investigator Award (2005) from The Society of Free Radical Biology and Medicine, Best Research Paper Award in the Division of Clinical Pharmacology at Vanderbilt University (2004). In 2011, Dr. Yin joined the faculty of Institute for Nutritional Science, Shanghai Institute of Biological Sciences, CAS. Since 2017, the institution where Dr. Le works has been reformed and renamed as Shanghai Institute of Nutrition and Health (SINH), CAS. Dr. Yin has published around 110 peer-reviewed publication with round 5000 citations and an H Index of 41 (Google Scholar March 2018).
Selected Publications: (*Corresponding Author)
- Li M#, He X#, Guo W#, Yu H, Zhang S, Wang N, Liu G, Sa R, Shen X, Jiang Y, Tang Y, Zhuo Y, Yin C, Tu Q, Li N, Nie X, Li Y, Hu Z, Zhu H, Ding J, Li Z, Liu T, Zhang F, Zhou H, Li S, Yue J, Yan Z, Cheng S*, Tao Y* and Yin H*. (2020) Aldolase B suppresses hepatocellular carcinogenesis by inhibiting G6PD and pentose phosphate pathways. Nature Cancer, (# Equal contribution) (https://www.nature.com/articles/s43018-020-0086-7)
- Wang N, Liu H, Liu G, Li M, He X, Yin C, Tu Q, Shen X, Bai W, Wang Q*, Tao Y*, Yin H*. (2020) Yeast β-D-glucan exerts anti-tumour activity in liver cancer through impairing autophagy and lysosomal function, promoting reactive oxygen species production and apoptosis. Redox Biology, 32:101495.
- Zhong S, Li L, Zhang Y-L, Zhang L, Lu J, Guo S, Liang N, Ge J, Zhu M, Tao Y, Wu Y-C and Yin H*. (2019) Acetaldehyde dehydrogenase 2 interactions with LDLR and AMPK regulate foam cell formation. J Clin Invest, 129:252-267.
- Guo S, Lu J, Zhuo Y, Xiao M, Xue X, Zhong S, Shen X, Yin C, Li L, Chen Q, Zhu M, Chen B, Zhao M, Zheng L, Tao Y and Yin H*. (2019) Endogenous cholesterol ester hydroperoxides modulate cholesterol levels and inhibit cholesterol uptake in hepatocytes and macrophages. Redox Biology, 21:101069.
- Chen Q#, Wang N#, Zhu M, Lu J, Zhong H, Xue X, Guo S, Li M, Wei X, Tao Y, Yin H*. (2018) TiO2 nanoparticles cause mitochondrial dysfunction, activate inflammatory responses, and attenuate phagocytosis in macrophages: A proteomic and metabolomic insight. Redox Biology, 15:266-276. (# Equal contributions)
- Lu J, Guo S, Xue X, Chen Q, Ge J, Zhuo Y, Zhong H, Chen B, Zhao M, Han W, Suzuki T, Zhu M, Xia L, Schneider C, Blackwell T S, Porter N A, Zheng L, Tsimikas S and Yin H*. (2017) Identification of a Novel Series of Anti-inflammatory and Anti-oxidative Phospholipid Oxidation Products Containing Cyclopentenone Moiety in vitro and in vivo: Implication in Atherosclerosis. J Biol Chem, 292:5378-5391. (Highlighted paper of 2017)
- Li S, Chu Q, Ma J, Sun Y, Tao T, Huang R, Liao Y, Yue J, Zheng J, Wang L, Xue X, Zhu M, Kang X, Yin H* and Liu W*. (2016) Discovery of novel lipid profiles in PCOS: Do insulin and androgen oppositely regulate bioactive lipid production? J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 102:810-821.
- Zhong H, Xiao M, Zarkovic K, Zhu M, Sa R, Lu J, Tao Y, Chen Q, Xia L, Cheng S, Waeg G, Zarkovic N and Yin H*. (2017) Mitochondrial control of apoptosis through modulation of cardiolipin oxidation in hepatocellular carcinoma: A novel link between oxidative stress and cancer. Free Radic Biol Med, 102:67-76.
- Zhong H, Lu J, Xia L, Zhu M and Yin H*. (2014) Formation of Electrophilic Oxidation Products from Mitochondrial Cardiolipin in vitro and in vivo in the Context of Apoptosis and Atherosclerosis. Redox Biol, 2:878-883.
- Yin H, Xu L, Porter N*. (2011) Free Radical Lipid Peroxidation: Chemical Mechanism, detection, and biological relevance. Chem Rev, 111:5944-5972.